Joseph Kamaru

Currently studying sonic arts in Berlin, Joseph Kamaru aka KMRU is a Nairobi-born, Berlin-based sound artist whose work is grounded on the discourse of field recording, noise, and sound art. His work posits expanded listening cultures of sonic thoughts and sound practices, a proposition to consider and reflect on auditory cultures beyond the norms, and an awareness of surroundings through creative compositions, installations and performances. 

It was very interesting to listen to Kamaru’s talk. I had previously listened to his music and watched the short documentary KMRU: Spaces, made in partnership with Ableton.

I found the relationship between environmental noise interesting.

I own a field recorder and have previously used it to record environmental sounds, however, I find it to be a difficult practice for myself. I have agoraphobia and find it quite challenging to build up the commitment and courage to leave the house for recording excursions. I have previously been pleased with material collected this way, I find the textures of recordings to be very inspiring, especially when warped and processed.